|The monastery of Malevi in the cedar forest|
The monastery of Malevi is one of the well-known in Arcadia which attracts a large number of pilgrims and visitors and it is 30 km from Paralio Astros and 44 km from Tripoli. It is built on the slopes of the mountain Parnonas on altitude of 950m. It is surrounded by a rare and protected forest of cedar in Europe.
|The holy temple|
The first monastery was built in the 14th century. The first recording of the monastery takes place in 1320 on a Byzantine letter of Andronikos Palaiologos. The monastery then was a bit farther from what it is today. The monastery which is in the actual place today was built in 1616 and it was of great contribution to the fight during the Greek revolution. About 1600 Saint Neilos had been in the monastery, widely known as Nikolaos Terzakis with his uncle Makarios before they left to Agion Oros.
Before the Greek revolution the monastery provided shelter to the armed revolutioners. Among them there was captain Zaharias Varvitsiotis. In 1786 before Easter in a theft attempt against the Turk Ali Sultabasi, the Turks decided to destroy the monastery. Their first attack was tackled by Zaharias's men and it cost them a lot of casualties. Some time later, the Turks tried again with the help of the dignitary Koutsopappa, from Agios Petros (the nearby village), attacked again and finding it without any defence, they destroyed it. In November 1786 Zaharias arrested Koutsopappa (Zaharias was Koutsopappas's servant 5 years ago) but he released him after made him pay 1,500 grosses.
From 1802 to 1805 the monastery was reconstructed with labours and expenses from the residents from the area. During the Greek revolution it was used as a hospital and military camp. In 1825 it was partly destroyed by the army of Ibrahem but they found resistance.
The church contains the Holy picture of Virgin Mary, which is considered a piece of work from 1360. It is considered miraculous and crowds of pilgrims come to see it.
The new temple has been built in the surroundings of the monastery which is dedicated to Virgin Mary. Next to the monastery there is the small church of Saint Neilos.
The monastery complex contains a newly-built ward with guest houses and utility rooms.